Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

As I look out the window, it doesn't look very summery. Except for the early-morning thunderstorm, I would say today seems closer to spring than summer. Today is the summer solstice, from here the days get shorter, which I don't like to think about. I have always wanted to have a bonfire on a hill to celebrate, but for some reason that never happens. Why a bonfire on a hill? Well, when I was 14 I went to Germany with my mom and sister. When we were traveling through the vineyards in Baden-Württemberg, where my mom's parents are originally from, and there was a huge bonfire on the hill and people were celebrating the solstice and dancing. It just looked fun. I have to work late tonight, so that most likely won't happen. For now, here are some holgas that I have taken this summer. Have a lovely start to summer!

Here is an interesting article in National Geo about the summer solstice.




I didn't actually take these photos since this is me :) We spent a summer evening at the cabin. 






2 comments:

  1. You're lucky you don't have to plug your nose. I could never jump off a dock like that and even if I could without plugging my nose, I wouldn't b/c lakes are scary. Wasn't the water cold?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water was actually warm! I was nervous though, I thought it would be a big shock:)

    ReplyDelete