Monday, August 29, 2011

Tornadoes in Clark County

Last Tuesday evening, my editor and I were watching the weather on three TV channels, the internet, and out the front door as two tornadoes moved through Central Wisconsin. We didn't hear of damage until about an hour after the storm and it was a vague claim of a barn off the foundation with an even vaguer location. So i took off to look for damage, and hoped that I would run into someone who could point me in the right direction. I saw a pair of emergency personnel who were blocking off the road and asked them where I could find the damage. The pointed me the long way around because many wires were down and also told me that a home was destroyed. My first stop was a family whose garage was destroyed as well as a trailer home on their property. Their mother-in-law was actually in the trailer home as it tumbled through their year, across the gravel road and into the neighboring field. She was ok, but badly bruised and shaken. I got there about an hour after the tornado struck, and already neighbors, family and and random people had stopped by and were helping to clean up the damage.


Here is a link to the photo gallery on the Marshfield News-Herald website.

This home was completely destroyed. The family was able to get into the basement and were unhurt during the storm. Luckily, the tornadoes came through a very rural area of Wisconsin and no one was killed during the storm.

Here are some links to stories from our paper: Governor Walker Touring Damaged Area and Twister in Clark County.

No comments:

Post a Comment