Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fall in Central Wisconsin

Fall and I have had a falling out. We used to get along splendidly, the smell of fall leaves was once given to me as a birthday present.... I used to love the colors, the sweaters, the apple orchards and my October birthday. Unfortunately, fall has been tainted by Wisconsin's winter. Now I just see fall as the end of summer and beginning of winter with no fun between and especially no fun in winter.

I decided that I am going to try to find fall again. Since I tapered off my 365 project around June, I have decided to try it again, but for a shorter, more manageable period, the fall equinox. It started in North America September 22, yesterday. For some scientific reasons, it starts today in Europe and Asia. I will take a photo daily, hopefully of nature-y things,  until the first day of winter, December 21, 2010. Here is my first photo!

I photographed this at Cherokee County Park yesterday. It seemed like a good beginning photo to me.


I got the idea to follow the seasons awhile ago, but never did.... because I never felt like it, I suppose. I have the book, Looking for Summer, by photographer Jim Brandenburg, and have seen Chased by the Light. These books follow the summer solstice and winter solstice respectively. The images are stunning and from the North Woods in Minnesota. I would definitely, definitely recommend them if you are into taking photographs of nature.

2 comments: