Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bubbly!

I got an idea for another card for my Etsy site, so I borrowed a champagne flute and started shooting away. I have been moving my card ideas away from edibles, and have shot flowers and balloons. I would like to get back to edibles because, well, I like to eat!  It is always fun to experiment with light in small controlled situations. Flash and lighting situations have always been a challenge for me. It seems like it never works consistently, at least when I am shooting from further distances and filling larger areas.

This is where I started. I set up a "studio" in my apartment, which is really just a white piece of paper taped onto a tall piece of cardboard and draped over my coffee table. It may be a little cramped, but it works for small items. I set up  my Canon 550EX Speedlight (an older model of this)  and fire them remotely using my Speedlight Canon Remote Transmitter. These are fired using the infrared waves sent from the transmitter to the flash.


I couldn't see the bubbly champagne when I just shot the light from the side, so I moved it around to try to capture the bubbles. What fun is champagne without bubbles?

This is what I ended with. I like the lens and light flares and I also like the curve of the paper. I may have some other ones where the glass is more centered in the curve. There are also bubbles! But, I may reshoot this because as I would pick up the glass to pour more champagne in it, my dirty fingers printed up the glass. I didn't think I would be able to tell, but I so can see fingerprints. I tried to photoshop them out, but after awhile it seemed easier to reshoot.  I think I will wear gloves next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment