Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Origami Mobile

Obviously, I take a lot of photos. But sometimes I like to make things.... and then take photos of them! While I was off between working a split shift, I worked of an Origami Mobile for my Etsy site. I usually put photos and cards on the site, but I also make baby mobiles. I started when I made one for my nephew and since been getting requests for them for other nephews and friends. They are fun to make and are a great baby shower gift!

 This is the one I made this weekend. You can find it here on my Etsy site. 

A detail shot of the wire. I was using sterling silver wire, but I couldn't find a strength that would hold up the mobile and that was still affordable. The gauge that I would purchase would be 22g, but it was over $4/foot, which adds up. I switched now to a thicker gauge, but not sterling silver. 

 A detail of the beads that I string between the cranes. I choose the beads based on the color of the mobile. 

This is a custom order that I did. 


Oh and if you don't know what Etsy.com is, here's the deal: It is a website where you can purchase handmade crafts. The stuff is really unique and you can search for what you want by color or location. For example, if you are really into buying local and keeping your money in the community, you can search for crafters in your area. We recently did a feature for the Marshfield News-Herald (where I work for my real job) on local Etsy artists Pretty {much} Art. They do graphic prints and printed accessories for the home or you! Their stuff is super-cute; I have been waiting for the perfect person so I can gift them their coasters!

I buy a lot of gifts on Etsy. It is so much more personal to give someone something that was hand-crafted and you know that they won't already have something similar. I get so sick of items that are mass-produced, are totally not unique and fall apart as soon as you use them.  It is also nice to purchase something that you know is perfect for the person you are giving it to. It makes shopping enjoyable and kind of like a treasure hunt.

My Etsy Site: www.lschmitt.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment