Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day

Happy Earth Day! Do something nice for your home! I think sometimes people don't think as the earth as their home, they think about their house as their home. If people spent as much time taking care of the earth (or even considering their actions and how those affected the earth) as they spend on  taking care of their house... wow.... that could make a big difference.

You can calculate your carbon footprint HERE or HERE

I checked my carbon footprint on the first website and it was 20.17 tons of carbon dioxide per year. The national average is 20.42. Mine is so high because, unfortunately, I drive so much for work. I would love to ride my bike, but riding my bike with my gear to Withee may take awhile. (It would also help if I read photo assignments correctly and didn't drive to Granton for something that was not happening today, but on Saturday. I shook my head at myself) I also have a tendency to fall a lot, so the camera bag would throw me a bit off balance and some expensive equipment could be damaged. Excuses, excuses, I know. 

Some earthy photos from yesterday on the way to (drive, sad) Wisconsin Rapids.

Speaking of driving... The sun was hitting the newly green field just right and I couldn't resist.

I stopped by the Yellow River and took some photos. The light was hitting the grass and it looked so lush and green. I love the first green grass of the spring.

The Yellow River at Little Bull Falls. I used a slow shutter speed, about a 30/100 and had the f-stop closed to f22. I also put the ISO at 100. It was really sunny, so I had to do this to be able to use the slow shutter speed and not blow-out the highlights.

I had to wait for my assignment to start so I stood outside the school and photographed "pretty-ness". 

Now I am concerned... I should really try to park my car at work and then ride my bike here and leave everything overnight. That would cut down on some mileage and my carbon footprint....hmmmm.

Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

  1. I love your photo of the grass - it is so fresh and the perfect spring green. Your photo of the Yellow River is amazing - it looks so churning and alive and dangerous. The technique that you used makes it almost pearlized and other-worldly. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been obsessed with green grass photos (and spring).... more to come!

    ReplyDelete