Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mead Nature Preserve

This weekend I went on a little jaunt to the Mead State Wildlife Area in Marathon County. I was hoping the flowers would be blooming in the prairie, and they were! My digital camera (Canon 40D) and my nice portrait/macro lens (Canon 28-70) are somewhere getting fixed, so I had to use my film camera, which was lovely. I picked it up and said, "Hello old friend!" And it seriously was like an old friend. It is a Pentax ZX-30, I got it after high school graduation when I realized that I might want to be a photographer. It served me well, all through college and until I finally got a digital camera at the end of my fifth year.  Anyway, here are a few photos from this weekend. Most of the photos I shot with my Pentax 50mm f 1.4 lens.

Prairie flowers, but I am not sure what kind they are.


A series of daisies
I had to cover my head with my hood and lay in the dirt to get this. I was scared of ticks jumping on.


I know these scans are a bit dirty, but they are kind of a pain to clean. I do miss the look of film. I think it looks nice when nature photos are a little less sharp and a little more dreamy.

I have no idea what this plant is, but I like the symmetry.


These photos were at the beginning of my roll from last year. It seems like even though a year has passed, I was in the same mind-set last time I used my film camera.

Trillium



That is all I have for now. The rest the scans were too bad to look decent to post. I will just have to re-scan them. I have another roll that hopefully won't take a year to finish. I put it in and then realized it is slide film that expired about 8 years ago. I am not sure if I can even get it developed anywhere around here.

1 comment:

  1. That top flower is Hawkweed, or known as Devils Paintbrush. I grew up knowing it from my grandfather as Indian Paintbrush, but that is another kind of wild flower. It grows commonly in yellow, orange or red. Very cool flower.

    ReplyDelete