Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Clouds

I found a really neat website the other day while browsing of the web for photo inspiration, which I do pretty frequently. It is called the Cloud 365 Project (http://www.clouds365.com). The project is by multimedia artist Kelly DeLay and he describes it as his commitment to be creative every day, by shooting videos or images of clouds every day for a year. There is also a interactive aspect that you can add your own cloud photos too, http://www.clouds365.com/community/.

On the artist's about me section, I found this quote:
"Clouds 365 is not intended to be separate from my everyday life. I want this practice of observation to be tied into the fabric of my life—the habit of looking up and noticing the patterns and beauty of the clouds that envelop us every single day."
This idea and practice is really important for me as a photographer. I used to carry around my camera in college nearly everyday, but since I started a career in photography, I moved away from that. I considered carrying a camera around for personal photos too much like work. This took a lot of the fun and spontaneity out photography for me, since the only photos I were taking were photos someone else told me to take.

After I realized that I am lucky enough to have a job doing something I love and care about, I realized that I wanted photos to be part of my life, not just my job. Because of this, I started taking photos of life outside of my "job" with my digital and holga cameras. It makes it fun for me again and is a different creative outlet. This January I also started a 365 project on flickr. I always wanted to start one, but never had enough motivation, so I joined the group Shutter Sisters 365 and try to add a photo everyday. I have only missed a couple days (yay for having a goal!) and have started carrying my camera everywhere I go. I find myself looking beyond what I normally would take photos of to find a photo for the day.

Here are a couple of my 365 photos that have to do with clouds, since that seems to be the theme of the day.

 March 16, 2010
Driving back from Stevens Point near Milladore, I stopped on a gravel road to take pictures

March 3, 2010
After work, the clouds reminded me of spring

January 12, 2010
Outside my work parking lot, I liked how the light matched the clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment