Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Holga View of March

I got another roll of Holga prints back yesterday, which so far has been the highlight of my week.  I experimented a bit on the roll with multiple exposures to get a panorama effect, or so I thought. They didn't really work out and the results were boring to me. I did get a few photos I liked though.


A double exposure of ice fishing at sunset. I think this was also on the bulb setting, hence the motion blur.

Dan collecting sap at the farm. The woods after the snow melts are lovely and quiet and you can see shapes that greenery usually covers. I liked the light that day, it was the first day of daylight savings and the shadows were getting longer and the light more golden. I like that it is light longer, but it makes it hard to finish work when the sun is streaming in the windows.

An elm tree on the farm. It is/was growing out of a rock. I had never seen a tree that I knew to be an elm until last week, I thought they were all dead.


Since I don't have anymore 120mm film or the budget to buy it right now, I am going to try to experiment with 35mm film in my Holga.  I tried a long time ago and nothing turned out, so hopefully the results will be better this time!

I found a neat Holga website: Holga Inspire. There are portfolios from professional photographers that use a Holga. Click the inspire tab and check out Rebecca Tolk's photos. Those are my favorite, they are really beautiful and colorful.

2 comments:

  1. I think that maybe people like Holgas because the resulting photos look like older memories – soft and hazy, fading into shadow around the edges...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! That's a reason why I like them.... they aren't so definite and leave room for interpretation and projecting your own ideas and thoughts into the photo

    ReplyDelete